While residential treatment is often deemed the most effective form of rehabilitation for substance abuse, not every individual can logically commit to these programs. Often referred to as a step below residential care, partial hospitalization programs (PHP) don’t require a 24-hour commitment to care. Nevertheless, PHP offers a structured, therapeutic environment conducive to achieving recovery from drug or alcohol addiction.
What does partial hospitalization mean, and what happens in a partial hospitalization program? Take a closer look at the in-depth description below to help you determine if this is the best treatment for you.
What Is a Partial Hospitalization Program?
A partial hospitalization program is an addiction rehabilitation option that involves taking part in treatment for several hours a day, usually between three and five days per week. Also referred to as day treatment, PHP is a more intensive level of outpatient care that provides a more comprehensive approach to rehabilitation.
Care is offered at a secure facility that usually employs a number of therapeutic techniques to help you overcome addiction. Clients usually spend about six hours per day immersed in a structured environment that delivers different types of therapy. PHPs can last anywhere from just a few weeks to as long as six months, and at the end of the program, transitional outpatient care may be recommended.
What Is Partial Hospitalization Like?
When you commit to a partial hospitalization program, your time spent in treatment will involve unique attributes depending on your needs. During intake, you will undergo a thorough assessment to determine your needs as a patient. Then, a schedule and structured plan will be created to make sure those needs are met. A typical day in a PHP treatment facility can involve:
- Individual and group therapy sessions
- Recreational activities
- Family therapy sessions
- Scheduled times for meals
- Skill or occupational training programs
- Daily screening for substances
- Medication-assisted treatment
When you commit to PHPs, you will be expected to closely adhere to the treatment schedule created for you during intake. Further, throughout treatment, you may be offered multiple types of therapy depending on what the facility offers and what types of treatment you need.
When Is Partial Hospitalization an Appropriate Option for Substance Abuse?
Choosing the appropriate level of care for substance abuse treatment is critical, but it can be difficult to gauge which program is best for you. PHP programs are an effective option for a lot of individuals, but not everyone. This type of rehabilitation treatment may work for you if:
- You are medically stable
- You have a good level of support from sober peers or family members at home
- You feel self-motivated to take part in the treatment
- You are not at risk of overdose or self-harm
- You can commit to spending part of your time away from home or work
PHP can be a good option for individuals who need the structure of an inpatient program but have outside commitments that require them to spend part of their time at home. For example, an individual with children may benefit from this type of treatment program because he or she can go home at night. Likewise, PHP can be effective as an aftercare program after leaving a residential treatment center.
What to Consider When Choosing a PHP Program
While partial hospitalization programs have many similarities, there can be differences to consider with each place. A few factors to consider before choosing treatment at a specific facility include:
- Cost: Costs for PHP programs vary depending on the setting, services offered, on-site amenities and more.
- Location: PHP facilities close to home can make committing to a program more feasible, since daily travel will be necessary.
- Length of program: PHP program duration can range from just 30 days to several months.
- Types of treatment offered: Medication management, on-site nurse care, individual and group therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and dual diagnosis may be something you need.
- Daily commitment requirements: PHP facilities often require treatment most days of the week for several hours a day, but schedules vary.
- Typical daily schedule: Therapy, meals, recreational activities, group meetings and other items may be included in a daily schedule in PHP.
- On-site amenities: PHP facilities may offer benefits such as yoga studios, workout rooms, spa facilities, different dining options and more.
Discover the Best Addiction Treatment Option for You at Vanguard
Partial hospitalization programs can be highly effective for addiction treatment. For clients with certain needs or circumstances, PHP offers a route to recovery that allows flexibility to maintain home commitments.
If you’re struggling with addiction or have a loved one that needs help, you’re not alone. At Vanguard Behavioral Health, we offer several types of addiction treatment, including partial hospitalization in both Tucson, AZ, and Albuquerque, NM. Reach out to our compassionate team for help finding the right treatment option for your situation.